This bundle of activities focuses on determining themes found in literary works. Some of the activities include test prep elements because theme questions tend to appear frequently on standardized tests. It is designed to teach upper elementary and middle school students how to analyze a reading passage and identify its theme in a way that will keep them engaged.
As an added bonus, I created 5-7 days of LESSON PLANS that outline how and when I use each of the included resources! You don't have to follow the lesson plan format I provide, of course, but it might be helpful in providing a bit of direction for you.
I invite you to check out the preview of each individual resource:
- Teaching Theme: An Introduction PowerPoint and matching Companion Handout (Please note that you will need a copy of the book "Because of Winn Dixie" by Kate DiCamillo to refer to as you advance through the last half of this PowerPoint. Also, the companion handout includes both a printable version and a Google Slides version.) You have my permission to convert this PowerPoint to Google Slides, if you wish.
- Theme Filled Cupcakes Craftivity: including 4 passages! (You get to choose whether to use the Google version or the printable version.)
- Theme Task Cards (You get to choose whether to use the printable version, the Google Forms version, the Google Slides version, the Easel Activity version, or the Easel Assessment version.)
- Identifying Themes: Six Worksheets (You get to choose whether to use the Google version or the printable version.)
- We Love Sports: Partner Plays for grades 4-5 (You get to choose whether to use the Google version or the printable version.)
- Themes in Literature Posters: FREE!
Are you looking for a plot elements intervention resource, or plot activities designed to be used with a small group of students? You might want to check out my set of Literary Themes Tri-folds/Lessons!
**Please note: the PowerPoint cannot be edited due to the copyright requirements made by the contributing artists (clip art, font, backgrounds).
Copyright by Deb Hanson
This item is a paid digital download from my TpT store
The resources in this bundle are to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher is prohibited. This item is also bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting these items (or any part thereof) on an Internet site that is not password protected are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Please contact me if you wish to be granted special permissions!